SonyBMG’s RCA Red Seal classical music label has released a Surround Sound SACD featuring the first in a new cycle of recordings of the Mahler Symphonies by David Zinman conducting the Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra. The new SACD includes performances of Mahler’s First Symphony as well as the Blumine movement of the composition which is placed at the end of the disc so that it can be played – or not – at the listener’s option.
As with earlier RCA Red Seal Surround Sound SACD releases, this is a Single Inventory Hybrid Super Audio CD. It serves as both the CD Audio and SACD edition of the album as noted by a sticker on the album cover that says
“New Recording – Special Priced Hybrid Multichannel Super Audio CD. Plays on all standard CD and Super Audio CD Players.”
Plans for Additional Mahler SACDs
According to the Tonhalle Orchestra, this recording of Mahler’s First Symphony was made at the end of February 2006 and was followed by live performances of Mahler’s 2nd and 3rd Symphonies in the 2006 season. The Mahler 2nd is due for Surround Sound SACD release by RCA Red Seal in May (RCA Red Seal 82876-87157-2) with the Mahler 3rd SACD still to be scheduled. Further recordings in the Mahler cycle will be scheduled by Zinman and the Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra in upcoming seasons.
Mahler: Symphony No. 1 in D Major “Titan”
1. Langsam. Schleppend, Wie ein Naturlaut. – Immer sehr gemachlich
2. Kraftig bewegt, doch nicht zu schnell. – Trio. Recht gemachlich.
3. Feierlich und gemessen, ohne zu schleppen.
4. Sturmisch bewegt.
Earlier Single Inventory Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs
When most people think of Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs from the SonyBMG’s RCA label, they are referring to the RCA Living Stereo SACD Reissue series which is now approaching 50 titles. However, over the last few years, the RCA label has also issued several Single Inventory Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs that are priced at the same level as conventional CD Audio only discs. This has been done since these RCA Red Seal SACDs take the place of both the CD Audio edition as well as the SACD edition of the album. These SACD releases are in addition to the Single Inventory Surround Sound SACDs that the RCA Red Seal staff has distributed from European Classical labels including Marc Aurel Edition, Classical Music Network (CMN) and Deutsche Harmonia Mundi (DHM) labels in the U.S. market.
If you’ve missed these earlier RCA Red Seal Super Audio CDs, here’s a quick recap of the titles:
RCA Red Seal – Single Inventory Hybrid Surround Sound SACDs
- Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra – Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 (RCA Red Seal 74321-97224-2)
- Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra – Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 (RCA Red Seal 82876-54332-2)
- Eva Mei, Bernarda Fink, Michael Schade, Ildebrando D’Arcangelo, Arnold Schoenberg Choir, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra – Verdi: Requiem (RCA Red Seal 82876-60749-2)
- Sir Colin Davis, Symphonie Orchester Bayerischen Rundfunks, Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Rundfunkchor Berlin – Mahler: Symphony No. 8 (RCA Red Seal 82876-62834-2)
- Patricia Rozario, Stephen Layton, Holst Singers, Temple Church Choir – Tavener: The Veil of the Temple (RCA Red Seal 82876-66154-2)
The new Surround Sound SACD of Mahler’s 1st Symphony by David Zinman conducting the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich is now available at music stores that carry classical music recordings as a Single Inventory Hybrid Surround Sound SACD. It is also available at web sites that carry Super Audio CDs including Acoustic Sounds, CD Universe, Elusive Disc, Music Direct, Amazon.Com and TowerRecords.Com.
Mahler: Symphony No. 1 “Titan” with Blumine – David Zinman, Conductor & the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich (RCA Red Seal 82876-87156-2)