Denon have announced that they are deliberately dropping DVD-Audio and SACD from their budget and entry-level players in a move that will send shivers down the spines of those trying to promote high-resolution formats.
In a release announcing the Ј230 DVD-1910 player, Denon’s PR representative Robert Follis today issued the following chilling message:
“In a practical move designed to benefit the average user, the 1910 deliberately does not have unnecessary SACD or DVD-A circuitry. These formats are being totally ignored by general consumers and at this price point, their inclusion is a waste of time and money. The cash instead has gone on stunning video and great sound.”
Note the wording; SACD and DVD-Audio are being “totally ignored by general consumers”. Although Denon support both formats in high-end machines, such as the DVD-2910 (Ј600) and DVD-3910 (Ј900), regardless of software availability, entry-level, affordable hardware is vital for the survival of both high-resolution formats. If mass-market manufacturers such as Denon abandon DVD-Audio and SACD in their entry-level players – whilst, somewhat ironically supporting every picture CD variant, low-fidelity lossy audio such as MP3 (maybe Denon consider MP3 to be “great sound”) and wasting money on an aluminium front panel – the future for high-resolution looks bleak.
Supplied details of the DVD1910 as follows, with thanks to Robert Follis.
DVI-HDCP DVD Player – Ј229.99 caters for all video standards including digital video – eschews SACD and DVD-A in favour of highest quality for every type of display.
- Denon’s most affordable DVI DVD Player
- DVI with HDCP Digital Video Out
- Twin 54MHz high-end Video DACs
- Latest Faroujda DCDi FLI-2301 PAL progressive scan
- RGB on SCART – S-Video outputs – Component Out
- Available in Black or Silver aluminium front panel
In a practical move designed to benefit the average user, the 1910 deliberately does NOT have unnecessary SACD or DVD-A circuitry. These formats are being totally ignored by general consumers and at this price point, their inclusion is a waste of time and money. The cash instead has gone on stunning video and great sound.(The new formats are of course supported for enthusiasts in the DVD-2910 at Ј600 and DVD-3910 at Ј900).
Denon brings serious videophile performance and DVI output to a very affordable price point. This slim, compact player, incorporates technologies from further up the Denon range and is an elegant match for both Denon’s new 05 series Home Cinema receivers and the existing range.
The DVI digital video, gives astonishing pictures on an HDMI or DVI capable display. The twin high-performance video DACs and Faroujda Progressive Scan deliver a stunning picture via the component output and make the DVD-1910 an ideal complement to current Plasma and LCD screens. RGB on SCART delivers the best picture for standard TVs.
Combining exemplary build quality, high-spec components and above average performance, the DVD-1910 is perfect for consumers who want quality and value, not just the lowest price.
- DVI with HDCP Digital Video Out (HDMI compatible) for new generation Plasmas, LCD and projectors
- 480p/720p/1080i Digital Video scaling
- PAL Progressive Scan via Component Video outputs improves the picture on appropriate displays
- Latest Faroujda DCDi PAL progressive scan the high-end iteration of this system
- RGB via the SCART output and S-Video output delivers the best picture on standard TVs
- The latest 54MHz Video DACs for superb picture quality
- 24-bit / 192kHz Audio DACs give a wide dynamic range and excellent s/n ratio.
- The audio circuit design is based on technology from Denon Hi-fi, giving superior results from CD.
- The DVD-1910 plays CDR/RW discs carrying MP3, WMA9 and MP3-VBR files
- Family Photo Show capability with JPEG and Kodak Picture CD still photograph replay