Arcam have today announced a new, state-of-the-art DVD player with DVD-Audio and HDMI capabilities. The DiVA DV79 will become available from late April onwards priced at Ј999. The following information is from the Arcam press release:
The Arcam DV79 is an affordable enthusiast level machine that delivers one of the best DVD pictures in the world and absolutely stunning sound quality. As Arcam uses its own bespoke designs and builds its own DVD players in the UK, the R&D team were able to achieve a remarkable price/performance ratio.
This advanced player has HDMI digital video out for the latest plasmas and projectors, plus interlaced and progressive analogue video (both NTSC and PAL) for existing displays. It has an exceptionally high level of video performance, delivering film-like clarity, depth and smoothness.
The HDMI interface delivers a better picture than its competitors due to the superior Zoran Vaddis 5 decoding engine, 4-layer fibreglass circuit boards and superior power supplies. All this affects the quality of the video signal for both analogue and digital interfaces.
Arcam’s legendary sound quality is delivered from all formats and through all outputs. Whether playing movies or music, the DV79 will not disappoint. The player has 5.1 decoders for DVD-Audio, Dolby® Digital & DTS, as well as Dolby Pro Logic® II for two-channel music and movie discs (first time in a specialist player). It includes a unique audio delay manager (from 0 to 150ms) to compensate for the video processing delays inherent in modern digital displays. These features are key when feeding external 5.1 inputs in older AV amps, or playing through high-end analogue-only multichannel music systems, such as the Arcam DiVA A90/P90 and FMJ C30/P1.
A front panel navigation button allows direct access to the DV79’s setup and disc menu. For complete system and install integration, RS232 control is standard and there are IR control jacks on the back panel.
John Dawson, Arcam’s founder and Chairman, commented: “Our aim was simple – to deliver clearly better picture and sound than any competitors in this price class. It helps that we have a highly professional team of audio and video engineers in our R&D lab, and it shows that by investing in UK research and manufacturing, even a relatively small company can meet and beat the global competition.”
Robin Dyer, Consumer Marketing Manager at Dolby, commented: “This inclusion of Dolby Pro Logic II is significant and is the first in Europe for a product of this kind, we’re delighted to see Arcam leading the field”
Feature set as follows:
- Zoran Vaddis 5 processor with built-in per pixel motion adaptive progressive scan engine
- RGB SCART and component video outputs – latter supports both 525p and 625p video
- HDMI* video, supporting 720 (1440) Ч 480i, 720 Ч 480p, 720 (1440) Ч 576i and 720 Ч 576p
- NTSC to PAL and PAL to NTSC conversion
- High quality zoom function with 1.25 and 1.5 settings to fill ‘wrong aspect ratio’ screens
- 6 Ч 12 bit 216 MHz Analog Devices video DACs – permitting simultaneous output of interlaced component (or RGB), S-video and composite video
- 6 separately buffered 75 ohms video outputs, capable of driving long cables without distortion
- Supports DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, VCD, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW discs plus CD, MP3, WMA, Photo CD and JPEGs
- DVD-Audio, Dolby Digital, DTS and for the first time in a specialist player, Dolby Pro Logic II decoding which is of great value when the DV79 is used in an all-analogue multichannel music system or with pre-2003 receivers without DPLII.
- 32-bit Zoran audio DSP for optimum fidelity
- Top of the line 24-bit 192kHz Wolfson WM8740 DACs for all 6 audio channels
- Global audio delay manager, 0-150ms, for perfect lip sync with digital processors / displays
- Comprehensive bass management supported for all audio formats, including DVD-Audio, with variable crossover frequencies from 50-150Hz in 10Hz steps, plus loudspeaker delay and level setting
- Ultra-low jitter audio clock circuitry
- Excellent CD replay, including HDCD decoding; plays CD layer of hybrid SACDs
- Replays MP3 and WMA files from CD, with dedicated on-screen browser
- Coaxial, optical and HDMI digital audio outputs support 2-channel PCM up to 24-bit/96kHz (HDMI 24-bit/48kHz), plus DTS and Dolby Digital streams
- Dual laser DVD drive reads CD-R/RW discs and most copy protected audio CDs
- 4-layer fibreglass main circuit board for best audio and video performance
- Low noise Arcam-designed switch mode power supply with toroidal mains transformer
- Two-way RS232 control via industry standard 9-pin serial port
- Sturdy all metal cabinet construction from heavy gauge steel and aluminium
- Front panel Navigation Button simplifies disc navigation when not using remote control
- New and improved slim-line remote control, type CR415
- Size: 430mm wide, 340mm deep, 85mm high – Weight 5.2kg (11.50lbs)
* HDMI: High Definition Multimedia Interface – see www.hdmi.org for full information.